I decided it was time for us to recognize the kids who come and sit in the stands and make high school hockey what it is … way more fun for the players. We have to remember, in most cases the student body has to arrange for transportation and come up with a couple of dollars to get in, so they are deserving of a little stick noise.
Lohud Hockey Top 10 Student Sections
1. White Plains – They come and sit in the cold, filling up the bleachers for every game at Ebersole.
2. Suffern – Make the Friday games at Sport-O-Rama more than a social event.
3. Carmel – They show up and cheer for classmates regardless of the squad’s record.
4. John Jay – Love the Easy button celebration each time Shawn Smith nets a goal for the Indians.
5. Rye – The numbers are down only because there hasn’t been a home game in two years.
6. Mamaroneck – Went through a midseason slump, but showed up at the end.
7. Pelham – They seem to wait for the playoffs before coming out en masse.
8. Mahopac – When there’s no basketball game, they do make noise at Brewster Ice Arena.
9. Yorktown – Still pretty good at organizing a crowd for rivalry games.
10. Pearl River – A little success on the ice this season got more classmates involved.