The back-to-school rush is on, and my driver is currently being re-gripped so I have a little free time. Let’s have a little fun. Here are my preseason rankings, which come with many caveats. I have not checked in with many of the coaches and have only checked out a minimal number of rumors. There have already been some comings and goings, but we’ll save that for another day.
Don’t hold me to any of this because it only takes one player defection to change the landscape.
Lohud Hockey Preseason Top 10
1. Suffern – We’re all getting a little tired of inserting the Mounties here, but they are the best until somebody else wins the Divison 1 title year after year after year.
2. John Jay – There will be some holes to fill, but the Indians are coming back from a state championship game appearance with serious top line talent.
3. Pelham – I still have some questions about this very talented group, like how will they respond to being ranked right behind a new Division 2 power?
4. Scarsdale – After developing some depth a year ago, the Raiders should be able to step up to Dvision 1 and contend with the powers that be.
5. Rye Town/Harrison – There’s a new rule governing the enrollment numbers of co-ops, so don’t be surprised if the feisty Titans are playing for a Division 2 championship.
6. White Plains – After developing some personality along with a couple of young standouts last season, the Tigers are thinking big.
7. Rye Country Day – The program is gaining momentum and is going to be ranked simply because the Wildcats have ice on campus.
8. Rye – I’m not sure any of traditional power lost more talent, but the Garnets seems to find a way to fill in holes and win a lot of games season after season.
9. Greeley – Somebody has to remind me to stop calling this a young team because the Quakers have grown up over the last two seasons and now have a chance to go deep into the playoffs.
10. Mamaroneck – I have a feeling there will be some bumps early in the season, but the Tigers will probably steal a headline or two before the season is over.
(Note: There are some teams I feel guilty about leaving off like Clarkstown, Iona Prep and Mahopac, but they have plenty of time left to make some noise.)